Decision of the Representatives of the Governments of the Member States on the provisional location of certain institutions and departments of the Communities. In a meeting held on 8 April 1965 in Brussels, the Representatives of the Governments of the Member States decided provisionally to locate the institutions and other bodies of the European Communities in Strasbourg, Brussels and Luxembourg.
Decision of 12 December 1992 taken by common agreement between the representatives of the governments of the Member States on the location of the seats of the institutions and of certain bodies and departments of the European Communities.
Protocol annexed to the Treaty on European Union and to the Treaties establishing the European Community, the European Coal and Steel Community and the European Atomic Energy Community by the Amsterdam Treaty of 2 October 1997.
Protocol No 6 on the location of the seats of the institutions and of certain bodies, offices, agencies and departments of the European Union annexed to the Treaty on European Union and the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union as amended by the Treaty of Lisbon of 13 December 2007.
From 1968 to 1980, the European Investment Bank (EIB) held its offices in the building at 2, Place de Metz, Luxembourg. This building, which had been the seat of the High Authority of the European Coal and Steel Community (ECSC) from 1952 to 1968, was purchased in 1968 by the Caisse d’Épargne de l’État de Luxembourg and leased to the EIB until 1980, when the EIB moved to its own premises on the Kirchberg Plateau.
The new European Investment Bank building, inaugurated on 2 June 2008, stands next to the current seat of the institution and means that all the staff can be housed on a single site in the Kirchberg district in Luxembourg.